Cafe Central
Hotline +43 (0) 512 5920


Viennese coffeehouse culture has been retained and continued in this cosy and simultaneously cosmopolitan atmosphere. In 1758 the first coffee house was open in Innsbruck. 1877 Johann Grabhofer opened Cafe Grabhofer and thereby laid the foundation stone for the later Cafe Central 1891 The name "Cafe Central" appeared for the first time in the "Innsbrucker Nachrichten" 1921 Wiener Kommerzialbank hired rooms; coffee house tables were replaced by bank counters 1928 Josef Falkner, born in Vienna, took over the Central and turned it into a coffee house in an old Viennese style1945 Occupying French troops commandeered the Central and used it as a Comtoire Français 1954 Re-design and re-opening of the Cafe Central 1989 The Central shone with a 'new nostalgic' look after extensive refurbishment work 2007 Terrace opened on Gilmstraße 2010 Terrace opened on Erlerstraße Construction of a separate area for smokers